Wasps Academy’s Alfie Barbeary and Will Simonds named in England U18s team to play Scotland
Date: 16 Mar 2018
England U18s head coach John Fletcher has named his team to play Scotland at Stirling County RFC (KO 12pm) on Sunday.
The side includes four members of the U18 team that played in the first fixture of their season in France with Bevan Rodd, Richard Capstick, Sam Maunder and Jacob Morris all named in the starting XV.
Cal Ford, JJ Tonks, Blake Boyland, Josh Hodge and Harry Barlow who were all among the replacements in France start on Sunday, while the try scorer from that game in Digne-les-Bains Will Simonds is on the bench.
Scrum half Maunder will captain the side with flanker Capstick named as co captain.
Following Sunday’s fixture the U18s will next be involved against Wales on 25 March at Sardis Road, Pontypridd (KO 4.15pm) before the ‘Six Nations Festival’.
The festival, based in Wales, will see England U18s play Scotland at Ystrad Mynach (31 March, KO 12pm), Italy at Cardiff Arms Park (4 April, KO 12pm) and France at the same venue on 8 April (KO 5pm).
John Fletcher said: “We want to see positive intent both sides of the ball and for them to express their skills and have a good impact on the game.
“This is the majority of the group that will go to the Six Nations Festival in Wales later this month.
“We meet on Friday and play on Sunday so that is a good experience for the players in terms of trying to build connections in relatively short periods of time. Playing Scotland in Scotland will be a good challenge for our side and they have shown in senior rugby and with the U20s that they are very capable. We will have to play to our very best to perform well in the game.
“For some of the players this will be their first experience of playing for England so they should be super excited about that. This is what they’ve worked towards, they are all in good form, that is why they are in the squad. I’m really looking forward to watching them play on Sunday.”
England U18 starting XV
15. Josh Hodge - Newcastle Falcons (Sedbergh School)
14. Harry Barlow - Harlequins (Cranleigh School)
13. Connor Doherty - Sale Sharks (Kirkham Grammar School)
12. Jack Reeves - Gloucester Rugby (Hartpury College)
11. Jacob Morris - Gloucester Rugby (Hartpury College)
10. Manu Vunipola - Saracens (Harrow School)
9. Sam Maunder - Exeter Chiefs (Blundell's School)
1. Bevan Rodd - Sale Sharks (Sedbergh School)
2. Samson Ma'asi - Northampton Saints (St Josephs)
3. Cal Ford - Sale Sharks (Sandbach School)
4. George Martin - Leicester Tigers (Brooksby Melton College)
5. Will Montgomery - Newcastle Falcons (Kirkbie Kendal School)
6. Richard Capstick - Exeter Chiefs (Exeter College)
7. JJ Tonks - Gloucester Rugby (Hartpury College)
8. Rus Tuima - Exeter Chiefs (Exeter College)
16. Alfie Barbeary - Wasps (Bloxham School)
17. Lewis Holsey - Worcester Warriors (Solihull School)
18. Jack Bartlett - Gloucester Rugby
19. Rob Farrar - Newcastle Falcons (Sedbergh School)
20. Ted Leatherbarrow - Sale Sharks (Kirkham Grammar School)
21. Blake Boyland - Bristol Rugby (SGS College)
22. Tom Curtis - Sale Sharks (Sedbergh School)
23. Will Simonds - Wasps (The Henley College)