Wasps A come up just short against Worcester Cavaliers

Date: 1 Oct 2018

38 - 47
Mon 1st October 2018
7:30 pm
Dry Leas, Henley Hawks RFC 

Wasps came up just short in a 12-try thriller against Worcester Cavaliers at Henley RFC's Dry Leas. 

Callum Sirker scored two tries in the defeat

Worcester started things off with a mistake from the kick off. Wasps pinned the visitors back in their 22 with some good territorial kicks in the opening exchanges.

Wasps followed that up with some strong defence, before ex-wasp Tom Howe supported well from Tom Dodd’s break to streak clear and score. Luke Scully converted to make it 7-0 to Worcester Cavaliers after five minutes.

From the restart Joe Atkinson made a strong carry and Wasps earned a penalty deep in Worcester’s 22 for not rolling away. Sunni Jardine knocked over the easy penalty to make it 7-3.

Will Porter cleared from the restart and Will Simonds caught a cross-field kick to break upfield. Before the ball was recycled for prop George Thornton to score. Jardine added the conversion to make it 10-7 to Wasps after 11 minutes.

In the next passage, Worcester won a penalty for holding on in midfield and kicked into Wasps’ 22 for a lineout. The visitors flooded through the lineout to score through Jack Cooke. The touchline conversion was once again added by Scully to make it 14-10 to the Cavaliers. Sam Spink was then forced off with injury, replaced by Cameron Anderson.

On 20 minutes, Ross Neal made a vital tap tackle on Oliver Hassell-Collins to deny Worcester, before the ball was turned over by Wasps. Will Simonds cut an inside line off Gabriel Oghre, to feed Callum Sirker to score, as Wasps put together a nice training ground move. Jardine added his second conversion to make it 17-14 to Wasps.

In the following play, Cavaliers intercepted through Dodd just outside Wasps’ 22 on 28 minutes to sprint in and score under the posts. Scully converting to make it 21-17 to Worcester.

Wasps then showed plenty of endeavour to get back in the game and were eventually given a penalty for not releasing. Jardine missing the penalty from 40m out just before half time. Worcester looked for the final score of the half, breaking through, before the final pass was expertly intercepted by Sirker and dotted down over his own line to take us to halftime at 21-17.

After the break, Wasps started much the brighter of the two teams and pressed for the opening score of the second stanza. Thornton going over for his second score, with a strong charge to dot down under the posts. Jardine converting to put Wasps back in the lead 24-21. Alfie Barbeary replaced Gabriel Oghre on 47 minutes.

Worcester hit straight back with their bonus point try in the corner for Mason Tonks. The conversion was missed by Scully from wide out. Worcester extended that lead soon after as Howe burst through to offload-well to Cooke and Beck Cutting went over to score. Replacement James Williams converted to make it 24-33 to the visitors.

After the score, Barbeary ripped the ball for Wasps to go on the attack in Worcester’s 22, but what would have been the scoring offload from Jardine was dropped with the line open.

Sirker then intercepted with an overlap outside him on 62 minutes to get Wasps back in the game and secure Wasps’ bonus point try, his second. Jardine converting to make it a two-point game 31-33 to Worcester.

Wasps then continued to go on the attack and with play building up nicely outside, Wasps knocked on at the bottom of a ruck, to deny them a try scoring chance with 15 minutes left.

On 71 minutes Cavaliers extended their lead through James Scott, thanks to an outrageous offload from Cooke, after a strong charge by Lewis Bean. James Williams adding the conversion to make it 31-40.

Matt Williams further extended the lead for Worcester, after a sustained period of pressure from the visitors in Wasps’ 22. James Williams converting to make it 31-47.

Ross Neal claimed the restart well, before the ball went wide for a Wasps chance, unfortunately knocked on into touch.

With two minutes left, Barbeary ripped the ball out of one of the following Worcester phases to score in the corner. Jardine converted from the touchline for his fifth conversion to make it 38-47.

With time running out Will Simonds tried a chip over the top for Josh Grimes, that didn’t quite come off. Wasps then defended their line resiliently as the visitors pounded away to try and close out the game, winning a turnover penalty five metres from their own line.

Barbeary won a final turnover on the floor, and a chip ahead gave one last chance, before ex-wasp and referee Richard Haughton blew the final whistle, with the score at 38-47 to Worcester Cavaliers.

Wasps A team vs Worcester Cavaliers at Henley RFC 

15 Will Simonds

14 Callum Sirker

13 Ross Neal 

12 Sam Spink 

11 Ambrose Curtis 

10 Sunni Jardine 

9 Will Porter (cc) 

1 George Thornton 

2 Gabriel Oghre

3 Lovejoy Chawatama

4 Joe Tunney

5 Tim Cardall 

6 Josh Fenner 

7 Joe Atkinson  

8 Tom Willis (cc) 


16 Alfie Barbeary 

17 Ben Onyeama-Christie

18 David Langley

19 Matt Marley

20 Jack Dickinson

21 Josh Nott 

22 Cameron Anderson 

23 Josh Grimes

Wasps A:
Tries: Thornton (2), Sirker (2), Barbeary
Conversions: Jardine (5)
Penalties: Jardine