Press Conference Notes
Wasps Interim Head Coach Lee Blackett spoke to the media ahead of Saturday's Gallagher Premiership clash with Gloucester Rugby at Ricoh Arena (kick-off 2.30pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
On the support at London Irish
- It was ridiculously special in terms of how many people were at Irish. When I was on the way back home in the car with my seven-year-old daughter, she turned to me and said: “Daddy, this London Irish fan in front of us said there were more Wasps fans than London Irish fans!”
- Just listening to the noise when we scored, or decisions going the other way, you wouldn’t have known if we were home or away.
- When I arrived a few years ago I couldn’t believe the support we got away from home and it just took you back to that. The crowd were brilliant and it made a massive difference. The boys definitely felt it.
On Gloucester Rugby
- The big thing for us this week is finishing this block off. We had a great result against Worcester, not the one we wanted at Leicester but we’ve followed that with two five-point performances so we’re happy and confident and it’s all about trying to finish the week off against Gloucester who will be desperate for a win.
- They’re a great team on paper and that’s the danger because you know at some point they’re going to click and you know they’re going to come back.
- Yes we’re gaining confidence, there’s no doubt about that. It’s about keeping that but also keeping our feet on the ground. We have to keep going game by game.
- The big thing from the weekend was some of our habits – some really positive ones.
- We can’t get ahead of ourselves and we have to keep that desire and a lot of that is player-led. They want us to get better, they want us to improve. Dan Robson, Brad Shields, Jimmy Gopperth, Ashley Johnson - they’re staying on top of people at the moment. It’s really good to see the leadership developing within the group.
- Zach Kibirige (hamstring) is out for 2-3 weeks.
- Will Rowlands has gone back to Wales and they don’t think it’s too serious so hopefully he’ll be available this week (if you’re Welsh!).
- Matteo Minozzi doesn’t have a game this weekend due to it being postponed but he’s not going to be here. We’ve asked medical advice and he’s staying in Italy till next Tuesday as a precaution.
- Michael Le Bourgeois (MCL) is likely to be out for a couple of months.
- Juan de Jongh (wrist) is out for a couple of months.
- Injuries at centre mean it gives people like Sam Spink a great opportunity. He’s probably not had as much game-time as we’d have liked over the past couple of years through injuries but he’s someone we’ve targeted for a long time. With him being fit now it gives us a great opportunity to get him a bit of game-time.
- Tom Willis (groin) just started training last week and is available for selection.
Get your hands on tickets to Wasps' upcoming home games v Gloucester Rugby and Worcester Warriors by clicking the link below or calling 02476 786411.