Press Notes - Tuesday 6 November
Date: 6 Nov 2018
Press Conference Notes
Wasps Defence Coach Ian Costello spoke to the media today ahead of Sunday’s Premiership Rugby Cup clash with Bristol Bears at Ricoh Arena (kick-off 3pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
On the Premiership Rugby Cup/Bristol preview
- All of these three rounds probably have a different focus. The Academy played the first game, we mixed it up in terms of selection last weekend and this weekend our selection will reflect our preparation for the upcoming Premiership games.
- Our focus will very much be on Bristol this weekend but we will also need to get ourselves into the best position for the next run of games starting with Northampton Saints in the Premiership the week after. Selection-wise you will see guys who have had a rest returning and guys who have taken the opportunity over the past couple of weeks will feature as well.
Northampton Saints review
- It was the most controlling performance we've had for a while. We got ourselves into a very dominant position but we let the game get away from us.
- We looked at a number of factors, we had enough ball to have stretched our lead, especially at half-time.
- At the end of the game it was two of our mistakes that were within our own control that gave them access to our goal-line.
- That is the disappointing thing, because it's those fine margins we need to come out on the right side of.
- Our defence is a work in progress. Our rocks are our work-rate, our energy and our linespeed and I thought last weekend was really good for a team who hadn't played much together before.
- We looked much more secure in defence and the main reason for that was we had the ball for so long so when we didn’t’ have the ball we were excited about trying to get it back.
- There are a number of things we need to tighten up on but it was one of our more balanced performances so it was very disappointing not to get the result.
- I think our defence has been mixed this season. It hasn't been as consistent as we would've liked.
- In the early part of the season we showed some resilience away from home. You look back to Sale and Newcastle when we closed out those games but we've conceded too many points, especially at home.
- One of the key focuses I wanted to achieve was for us to have the same levels of excitement around our defence as we do in our attack.
- Anyone who watches Wasps in recent years would be really excited about the way we play the game. It's all about making sure we have a balance to our game both sides of the ball.
- Defensively it's about keeping the faith in what we are trying to do and constantly working on the fundamentals. We need to make sure that we build strong habits so that we're a lot more consistent under pressure and under fatigue in games.