Press Notes - Tuesday 30 April
Date: 30 Apr 2019
Press Conference Notes
Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young spoke to the media ahead of Sunday's Gallagher Premiership clash with Bath Rugby (kick-off 3pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
• We have one or two good performances and we think we’ve turned the corner but then we don’t quite reach the heights that we should be.
• Both the performances against Worcester Warriors and Exeter Chiefs were big step-ups and in the right direction but against Sarries in the first-half it was a step backwards.
• Some of the standards we set ourselves we were nowhere near on the day.
• The manner we lost was disappointing because we didn’t make them work anywhere near what we should have.
• Our pass and kick accuracy wasn’t good enough, collision dominance was down and individual skills weren’t where they should have been so we were second best in every area.
• We need a response to get back and play like how we did against Exeter.
• Both games remaining are of huge significance now in terms of where we finish at the end of the season.
• There’s not much between us but we’ve just got to turn up on the day.
• We have to make sure we have that passion, desire and commitment which should be a given.
• I expect us to go there and really front up and hopefully we have that concentration and focus to be on the money, and to play the rugby we know we’re capable of playing.
On the fans
• The fans deserve better and we’ve said that to the players.
• If there are any bad moments I find they get right behind the players so we have got a responsibility to start delivering at the Ricoh as the supporters deserve it.
• Jimmy Gopperth has fractured his thumb and is expected to be out for six weeks.
• Tommy Taylor (back) is all clear and will be back in full training.
• James Gaskell (calf) is back in full training this week.
• It’s early in the week but Joe Launchbury (calf/achilles) is looking good and we’re hoping he can make it for the weekend.
• Will Stuart (ankle) is expected to be out for 8-12 weeks. He is seeing a specialist this week.
• Biyi Alo (ankle) is expected to be out for 8-12 weeks and is seeing a consultant this week.
• Marcus Garratt had another clearout on his knee. It’ll take some time to settle down and then he’ll pick up his rehab again.
Tickets to Wasps' final home game of the season in The Big Sting v Harlequins on Saturday 18 May are available by clicking the link below or calling 02476 786411.