Press Notes - Tuesday 23 October
Date: 23 Oct 2018
Press Conference Notes
Academy Manager Jon Pendlebury spoke to the media today ahead of Saturday’s Premiership Rugby Cup opener with Gloucester Rugby at Kingsholm (kick-off 3pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
Premiership Rugby Cup competition
- This competition is a pathway for youngsters to make the first-team.
- It provides a great opportunity for lots of lads to wear the Wasps jersey.
- It's another cup to try and win. If you ask any player, they want to win cups and championships so we're taking this very seriously.
- They want to play, put themselves in a position where they're starting and can become an international player one day.
- The younger players want to get on that journey and want to start and play well and get the best foot forward, whether they start or are on the bench.
- Some are selected week in, week out at schools but now it's about selection, it's tough and it's competitive as it should be.
- The senior guys have just come off a six-week block of Premiership and two weeks of European action so guys have been rested and some will be going away for Autumn Internationals too.
- There are a lot of guys who have represented us in the Premiership Rugby Shield that'll be involved this weekend.
- There are a number of guys that I've pencilled in with Dai (Young) that we want to see start and others we want to see come off the bench as well. We want to get a number of them involved.
- We've asked some guys to come in and commit a bit more to training this week so some have shifted university lectures around but they see the reward and recognition in that because they'll be included in the match day 23.
- We're going to go down there with some things we want to try and some things we want to play around with but also to continue some combinations we've been looking at too.
- Gloucester are an immensely proud team and especially at Kingsholm.
- They'll have a good crowd and they're probably approaching it with youngsters getting opportunities as well.
- It's going to be a good, tough game. They play an exciting brand of rugby and they're trying to change a few things this year but we're looking forward to it.
- We might have one, two or three captains for the game, or one for each half.
- We want to spread this around. We don't want to just use this as a playing opportunity but also for a personal development and growth aspect.
- There are some bits we're doing off the pitch with players. We want to see what opportunities we can create in training in the week but also at 3pm on Saturday afternoon as well.
You can see Wasps in Premiership Rugby Cup action in November at Ricoh Arena against Northampton Saints and Bristol Bears. Tickets are on sale now by clicking here.