Press Notes - Tuesday 23 April
Date: 23 Apr 2019
Press Conference Notes
Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young spoke to the media ahead of Saturday's Gallagher Premiership clash with Saracens at Ricoh Arena (kick-off 4.30pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
- We were probably fortunate to go in with the lead we did at half-time but in the second-half we were excellent and now we have to back it up.
- It was a good performance but it’s one game and we have to give ourselves an opportunity to salvage the season.
- It was our best performance of the season against quality opposition. The first 20 minutes weren’t ideal and the turnover try got us back in the game.
You could see the confidence and belief oozing through the team and it was really typified by the last five minutes with our defensive efforts and everyone playing for each other.
- Those are the standards we have to adhere to now in the remaining games.
- They were excellent in their Heineken Champions Cup semi-final win over Munster. They never really looked under pressure against a very good Munster team.
- We know how good we’re going to have to be to get a result on Saturday.
- I hope they give us respect and play their best team. If we beat Sarries, we want to beat their best team.
- They’ve certainly got a number of games to manage now but it’s something they’re used to.
- They haven’t got a bad player in their squad. They’re bringing seasoned internationals off the bench. You don’t sit at the top of the Premiership and do well in Europe year on year by chance so we know what quality in depth they’ve got.
- They’ll have a 23 good enough to win wherever they go.
- Nothing short of a big performance will do at the weekend.
- Our goal is to win both of our remaining games at the Ricoh and to finish the season strongly.
- Saracens look favourites to retain the title but if we can knock them over it would set us up for the final two games.
- We’re not talking about top six or top four, we’re just talking about the next game.
- James Gaskell is 50/50 with a calf injury.
- Jimmy Gopperth will come back into that mix.
Tickets to Saturday's game v Saracens are available by clicking the link below or calling 02476 786411.