Press Notes - Tuesday 1 October
Date: 1 Oct 2019
Press Conference Notes
Wasps Forwards Coach Andy Titterrell spoke to the media ahead of Saturday's Premiership Rugby Cup Round 3 clash against Sale Sharks at the AJ Bell Stadium (kick-off 3pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
On win over Northampton Saints
- Our attack went well and it was great to score six tries. To score ten tries in our first two matches is pleasing especially as last year we struggled to get over the whitewash a bit.
- Defensively, we may have conceded 32 points at the weekend but the boys put a lot of work in and the performance was definitely improved on the week before.
- We questioned the players from the previous week around physicality and detail and they answered some of those at the weekend.
- We controlled the game relatively well. In the first-half we had a lot of possession and territory and it was good to see us in the right areas. If nothing was on, we were in the corners, trusting our defence from set-piece to put pressure on.
- Saturday was all about winning but certain things give us a key focus ahead of next week.
- Everyone is behind everybody at this club. We’ve got a new group of guys, a couple of new coaches and we just have to make sure we’re making little steps in the right direction.
- Last year in the Premiership was the first time we’d won there in a while so we know how strong they are at home.
- We’ll take a lot of confidence out of Saturday’s win at Saints. Certain areas went really well for us and were a lot better than the week before.
- We have to box clever but ultimately you have to be prepared to meet fire with fire and when we’ve been up there before we’ve confronted them and we’ve not gone into our shells.
- My message to the forwards will be let’s have more of what we did in the second-half v Saints and get that for an 80-minute showing. At the end of the day, if we get our detail right, if we get our knowledge right, and if we bring the emotional side of the game, then we could have a good afternoon up there.
- We’re only two games in but we’ve pretty much had two squads. We still have some different combinations to look at.
- It will likely be a mixture from the last two weekends and certainly players last Saturday put their hands up.
- Dai (Young) is trying to create a squad where you’re putting pressure on everybody to be better. Hopefully a couple of guys will be back from injury this week like Lima Sopoaga and Malakai Fekitoa.
Wasps' next home game is v Worcester Warriors on Saturday 12 October. To get your hands on tickets, from just £10 for adults and FREE for under 10s, click the link below or calling 02476 786411.