Press Notes - Thursday 29 November
Date: 29 Nov 2018
Press Conference Notes
Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young spoke to the media ahead of Saturday’s Gallagher Premiership clash with Saracens at Allianz Park (kick-off 3pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
On last week’s performance
- Nothing builds confidence more than a win and although it wasn’t perfect, that’s what we got.
- We did a lot of good stuff against Bristol and we dug deep at the end and gave it our all to get over the line.
- Sometimes the result is more important than the performance and last week that was probably the case.
- We’re striving for some consistency but it doesn’t help when we keep losing players. Combinations seem to be challenged weekly but hopefully our luck with injuries will turn and we’re expecting a lot of guys back in the New Year.
- We’ve got to go there and take our best game to them.
- We all know the quality they have and how hard it is to break their defence down.
- We’ve got to be stringent in defence, we can’t give easy points away and our set-piece has got to get parity.
- For us it’s about backing up last week’s performance, trying to get some momentum going into Europe and we certainly want to come away with something.
- Ashley Johnson will be unavailable this week due to a knee injury.
- Tom Cruse and Jake Cooper-Woolley are unlikely to feature this week due to rib knocks.
- Thomas Young has a calf and hamstring problem but hopefully he’s only out for a week.
- Kieran Brookes trained today and should be back.
- Nizaam Carr should be back in the mix after a shoulder knock.
- Michele Campagnaro is available after joining up with the team this week.
- Tom Willis picked up a shoulder knock last week and is probably unavailable. He hasn’t trained this week.
- Elliot Daly, Willie Le Roux, Brad Shields and Nathan Hughes are all back in training and with smiles on their faces and it’s good for the squad. You can see what they add.
- Elliot was offered a week off given that he played in every Autumn International but he wants to play.
- He’s predominantly played at 13 at London Scottish but he’s also played on the wing.
- We’ve been really impressed with his attitude in training. He’s come in and worked his socks off.
- He’s looked around at people like Elliot Daly and noticed those are the standards he’s got to hit and he’s worked at it.
- He gives us something a little bit different. We’ve not really had any size on the wing asides from Josh Bassett but he gives us something different to what we’ve had traditionally in Christian Wade.
- I think he’s shown he’s more than capable of playing on the wing at Premiership level.
- He’s predominantly a centre but can play wing and with our injuries we may have to look at moving him about as we’ve done with others. He’s just excited to get out there and play.