Press Conference Notes
Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young spoke to the media ahead of Sunday's Gallagher Premiership clash with Exeter Chiefs at Sandy Park (kick-off 3pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
Worcester review/Exeter preview
- It was a massive win against Worcester. The pressure was building and the league is so tight but now the focus is to look up.
- If results don't go your way you could still be in a fight at the bottom but we want to push on from last week’s performance and now we have the two best teams in the league coming up.
- If we get things right on the day at Exeter then there's no reason why we can't get a result.
- Let’s look for a statement win. If we want to be pushing on we need to get results no matter who we’re playing and it will be a real reflection of where we are at.
- If we’re not at our best it could be a horrible afternoon. We saw what they did to Leicester Tigers last week.
- We know what a quality team they are, we know what’s coming our way.
- They have a fantastic driving lineout, probably the best in Europe.
- They have a real big scrum but I also think they’ve added a lot to their attacking game over the last couple of months.
- They have some real good options off phase-plays which can carve you up as well.
- Jack Willis has sustained a recurrence of a stress fracture of his ankle. He has undergone an operation to treat the injury and we are expecting him to be available for selection at the start of next season.
- Dan Robson unfortunately developed a deep vein thrombosis. He is currently undergoing treatment which is expected to conclude following three months, after which he will be available to return to full training. This means that he will not be available for selection for Wasps for the remainder of the season, however, should enable him to be available for selection for the World Cup preparations.
- Thomas Young sustained a foot/ankle injury in training. The injury is associated with a recovery period of approximately three months which unfortunately renders him unavailable for selection for Wasps for the remainder of the season, however, should not affect his World Cup preparations if selected.
- It's a massive blow to lose the likes of Thomas, Dan and Jack. But the good news for Thomas and Dan is that they will be fully fit for World Cup preparations if selected.
- Jimmy Gopperth has been training for the last two-and-a-half weeks and he's putting his hand up to play. But with a bit more time over the next couple of weeks hopefully he'll be at 100%.
- Tommy Taylor has a disc problem and it hasn't 100% settled.
- Will Stuart has an ankle sprain.
Tickets to Wasps' next home game v Saracens are available by clicking the link below or calling 02476 786411.