Press Notes - Monday 4 March
Date: 4 Mar 2019
Press Conference Notes
Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young spoke to the media ahead of Saturday's Gallagher Premiership clash with Newcastle Falcons at Ricoh Arena (kick-off 2pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
Leicester Tigers reaction
- It’s a game that got away from us. It’s one we should’ve won.
- It was frustrating but we have to focus on ourselves. We have to be better than one decision really that goes against you, because it happens in games.
- When your luck is down it’s down, but it’s up to us to change that. There were lots of positives from the game but it’s still one we should’ve won.
- It was a pretty decent performance but we had opportunities which we didn’t nail, we’ve got plenty to look at ourselves and we have to stay positive.
Newcastle Falcons preview
- This is a massive game and we have to win to stay in the mix for the top four really, although we do have to still play the teams around us.
- Newcastle are scrapping for their lives as are most teams in the league at the moment – it’s that tight.
- Every game is huge, every bonus point. It’s not just about picking up points but restricting others from getting points too so it’s all to play for.
- We owe it to the fans and to ourselves to get back on track at home.
- We value playing at the Ricoh. We have a fantastic stadium and fantastic support.
- We have to start well and get the crowd behind us and once they’re involved they play a big part.
- Thomas Young (hip) isn’t meeting up with Wales this week and he won’t be available for us. Hopefully he can meet up with the Wales squad next week ahead of their final Six Nations game.
- Will Rowlands will be okay for the weekend. He hasn’t trained this week yet but we only have 27 to pick from at the moment so we have to look after them properly to make sure they’re okay for the weekend.
- Jimmy Gopperth and Alex Rieder aren’t too far away from returning. We’re looking at between three to six weeks. They haven’t been back in training just yet.
- We will only pick players in the squad if they are fit to play, not if they’re able to play 30 minutes or so. They’re either fit to play a game or they’re not. We won’t rush anyone.
Tickets for Saturday's game, which is followed by England v Italy live in Hall 5 are available by clicking the link below or calling 02476 786411.