Newcastle fight back to beat Wasps A

Date: 23 Dec 2018

Newcastle Falcons A 59-27 Wasps A 

Premiership Rugby Shield Northern Conference leaders Newcastle Falcons battled back from 17-0 down to win 59-27 in Sunday’s home game with Wasps at Kingston Park Stadium.

Wasps started brightly and took the lead inside seven minutes when lock Tim Cardall scored from a supporting line down the left-hand side with Jacob Umaga adding the conversion.

The Falcons were intent on playing the game at pace with Adam Radwan attacking from his own 22 and Sam Stuart tapping a quick penalty as they searched for their first try. But it was Wasps who found the next points when Umaga slotted a touchline penalty to take their lead to double figures.

The visitors built on their lead with a converted try down the left from a driven maul, but the Falcons got off the mark on 23 minutes when skipper Callum Chick supported a line-break to dot down in the left corner.

Josh Hodge added the conversion and the home side narrowed the deficit to five points just before the half-hour when Chick crossed for his second try, Newcastle playing advantage to good effect and scoring in the right corner with quick hands down the short-side.

Umaga’s long-range penalty from a central position extended Wasps’ lead to eight just after the half-hour, with Newcastle cutting that down to one when centre Pedro Bettencourt crossed for their third try down the right, converted by Hodge.

The bonus-point try arrived with the final play of the half when Jack Payne scored from the back of a lineout, the set-piece coming as a result of a 70-metre break from Morgan Passman after winning a turnover near his own tryline.

That put the hosts 26-20 up at the break and Newcastle continued their momentum after half-time when Adam Radwan hit an inside angle for try number five after Connor Collett’s line-break set up the ruck ten metres out.

The sixth try was not long in coming, Josh Hodge hitting a lovely outside line and grubbering to the in-goal, where his perfectly-weighted kick was grounded by Ben Stevenson.

Stevenson’s second try arrived just after the hour-mark when the centre sped in down the right from a two-on-one, Jamie Blamire laying on the scoring pass and Hodge once again converting.

Collett grounded the next score from a driving maul in the left corner to take the home side past the half-century.

Sunni Jardine hit back for Wasps on 71 minutes when he broke through the middle for a converted try.

Hodge crossed in the left corner from a Bettencourt offload to resume Newcastle’s dominance, converting his own score in the closing minutes of a convincing home victory.

Wasps A are back in action at home to Northampton Wanderers at Broadstreet RFC on Sunday 30 December (kick-off 1pm).

Wasps A | 15 Sunni Jardine, 14 Callum Sirker, 13 Cameron Anderson, 12 Will Simonds, 11 Tom Stileman, 10 Jacob Umaga, 9 Will Flinn (Coventry Rugby); 1 Ben Onyeama-Christie, 2 Gabriel Oghre (c), 3 David Langley, 4 Josh Fenner, 5 Tim Cardall, 6 Kieran Curran, 7 Will Wilson, 8 Tom Willis

Replacements: 16 Ollie Adams (London Scottish), 17 George Thornton, 18 Antony Dickinson (Rotherham Titans), 19 Elliott Ward, 20 James Seabrook, 21 Josh Nott, 22 Taju Atta