Jude Williams starts for England U18s against Ireland
Date: 16 Apr 2019
Wasps Academy's Jude Williams has been named by England U18s head coach Jim Mallinder in his side for Wednesday’s U18 Six Nations Festival match against Ireland at Sixways Stadium, Worcester (kick off 13:40pm, live on FreeSports).
It is the second game of the U18 Six Nations Festival which started on Saturday with England defeating Wales 38-20 at Gillman’s Ground, Hartpury University and College.
Mallinder has made several changes to his side with prop Luke Green and hooker John Stewart both named in the starting XV.
Elsewhere lock Ewan Richards, flanker Ollie Stonham and number eight Will Trenholm are given their first starts of the tournament.
Raffi Quirke starts at scrum half, while Phil Cokanasiga comes into midfield and Jude Williams, George Worboys and Jack Bates make up a new back three.
England U18s are led by pathway performance coach Mallinder, and consultant coaches Jonathan Fisher (London Irish), Mark Luffman (Darlington Mowden Park) and Sean Marsden (Bristol Bears) for the season.
The festival, which is being hosted by England Rugby at Hartpury University and College, will see three sets of fixtures at Gillman’s Ground, Sixways Stadium and Kingsholm, all live via FreeSports TV.
Jim Mallinder said: “We were generally quite pleased with the first outing against Wales but there are still lots of areas where we can improve as a team so that’s what we’ll be aiming to do.
“In the set piece we didn’t get much ball in the second half so we’re working on that and we want to play with a bit more continuity and an attacking intent.
“We’ve watched Ireland, we know they are a quality side and were unfortunate not to beat France in the first match of the festival so we know we are going to have to play well and defend well.
“It’s very difficult when you only come together for one-off games so it’s been great to have everyone together for a longer period and we’ve had a good build up to Wednesday’s game and feel we’re making good progress as a team.”
England U18s side
15. George Worboys Bath Rugby (Beechen Cliff)
14. Jack Bates Bristol Bears (SGS College)
13. Tom Roebuck Sale Sharks (Wirral Grammar)
12. Phil Cokanasiga London Irish (St Pauls College)
11. Jude Williams Wasps (Caterham School)
10. Orlando Bailey, Bath Rugby (Beechen Cliff School)
9. Raphael Quirke Sale Sharks (St Ambrose College)
1. Luke Green London Irish (St Paul’s Catholic College)
2. John Stewart Bath Rugby (Beechen Cliff School)
3. Fin Baxter, Harlequins (Wellington College)
4. George Martin, Leicester Tigers (Brooksby Melton College)
5. Ewan Richards Bath Rugby (Millfield School)
6. Ollie Stonham Saracens (Felsted School)
7. Josh Gray, Gloucester Rugby (Dean Close School)
8. Will Trenholm Harlequins (Cranleigh School)
16. Sam Riley Harlequins (St George's Weybridge)
17. Phil Brantingham, Newcastle Falcons (Royal Grammar School)
18. Jenson Boughton, Gloucester Rugby (Hartpury College)
19. Archie Benson Gloucester Rugby (Dean Close School)
20. Jack Clement Gloucester Rugby (Cheltenham College)
21. Jack van Poortvliet Leicester Tigers (Oakham School)
22. Tom Curtis Sale Sharks (Sedbergh School)
23. Joe Carpenter Yorkshire Carnegie (Woodhouse Grove)
Matchday one - Saturday 13 April – live on FreeSports
Gillman’s Ground, Gloucester
England 38-20 Wales
Ireland 24-29 France
Scotland 18-19 Italy
Matchday two - Wednesday 17 April – live on FreeSports
Sixways Stadium, Worcester
11:10 France v Italy
13:40 Ireland v England
16:10 Wales v Scotland
Matchday three - Sunday 21 April – live on FreeSports
Kingsholm Stadium, Gloucester
11:10 Scotland v Ireland
13.40 England v France
16:10 Italy v Wales