Heineken Champions Cup opener - Leinster Rugby v Wasps
Date: 10 Oct 2018
Here's a little info and stats ahead of Friday’s Heineken Champions Cup curtain-raiser at RDS Arena where Wasps take on reigning European champions Leinster Rugby (kick-off 7.45pm).
Pool 1 - Leinster Rugby v Wasps
Venue: RDS Arena
Referee: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant Referee 1: Cyril Lafon (France)
Assistant Referee 2: Stephane Boyer (France)
TMO: Denis Grenouillet (France)
Citing Commissioner: Stefano Marrama (Italy)
TV: BT Sport
• The last seven matches between Leinster and Wasps are evenly split with both teams winning three apiece and drawing once.
• This will be the third time Leinster and Wasps have clashed in the opening round of a European Cup campaign. Both previous games took place in Dublin with the hosts winning in 2014/15 before Wasps inflicted a record home defeat on Leinster a year later.
• Reigning champions Leinster won all nine games on their way to lifting the Champions Cup trophy last season and one more victory would equal their longest winning streak in the competition which they set across the 2011/12 and 2012/13 seasons.
• This will be the fourth time in their last five European Cup campaigns that Wasps have begun with an away game in Ireland (W1, L2).
• Leinster have won each of their last six games against Premiership opposition, this after having won just four of their preceding ten such games (D1, L5).
• Last season Leinster were the only side to concede an average of fewer than ten turnovers per game in the competition (9.7).
• Only Saracens (3.6) averaged more tries per game than Wasps (3.5) in 2017/18.