Alfie Barbeary to captain England U18 against South Africa
Date: 17 Aug 2018
England U18s have named their side to play South Africa Schools in their final fixture of the U18 International Series on Saturday.
Hooker Alfie Barbeary (Wasps) returns to captain the side in a new front row, while lock George Martin (Leicester) and flanker Harry Dugmore (Harlequins) also start Saturday’s game.
The side have recorded two defeats to France (41-21) and Wales (26-20) while in South Africa.
Coaches Steve Bates and Jim Mallinder have made eight changes to the starting XV for the fixture at SACS, Newlands (1.05pm BST).
Josh Hallett (Saracens) and Lennox Anyanwu (Harlequins) form a new centre partnership and Louis Lynagh (Harlequins) returns at full back.
To reflect a change in the England pathway calendar the group in South Africa are predominately U17s with the tour now marking the start of the U18 international season, as well as their England journey.
The squad is coached by Bates and Mallinder, who are being assisted by Mark Luffman as well as Nick Kennedy.
Steve Bates said: “We made progress with our execution and defence in the Wales game and had several opportunities to win the match. We still have work to do in lots of areas but we’ve spent the past couple of days working hard to continue improving and developing.
“This is a young group, playing only their third game together against more experienced U18s sides and that is affecting our cohesion and organisation.
"We tightened up our defence well against Wales but we still need to make it much more secure so sides have to work harder to score and feel under more pressure when they’re on the ball, which in turn will make us more competitive in both defence and attack.
“Any international fixture is always special, but to play South Africa in South Africa will be a proud moment for these players who will play with a huge amount of passion.”
Aon U18 International Series fixtures:
Friday, 10 August 2018 (at Boland Landbou)
England 21-41 France
SA Schools 43-40 Wales
Tuesday, 14 August 2018 (at Stellenberg)
Wales 26-20 England
SA Schools 21-28 France
Saturday, 18 August 2018 (at SACS)
11.15am BST - France vs Wales
1.05pm BST - SA Schools vs England
15. Louis Lynagh - Harlequins (Hampton School)
14. Jack Bates - Bristol Bears (SGS Filton)
13. Lennox Anyanwu - Harlequins (Christ's Hospital)
12. Josh Hallett - Saracens (New Hall School)
11. Tom Roebuck - Sale Sharks (Wirral Grammar)
10. George Barton - Gloucester Rugby (Dean Close School)
9. Raffi Quirke - Sale Sharks (St Ambrose College)
1. James Whitcombe - Leicester Tigers (Woodhouse Grove)
2. Alfie Barbeary - Wasps (Bloxham School)
3. Harvey Beaton - Saracens (Sutton Valence)
4. George Hammond - Harlequins (Whitgift School)
5. George Martin - Leicester Tigers (Brooksby Melton College)
6. Harry Dugmore - Harlequins (Whitgift School)
7. Fin Rossiter - London Irish (Wellington College)
8. Jack Clement - Gloucester Rugby (Cheltenham College)
16. Sam Riley - Harlequins (St George's Weybridge)
17. Rowan Mullis - Gloucester Rugby (Hartpury College)
18. Jack Hughes - Northampton Saints (Uppingham School)
19. Chunya Munga - London Irish (Leighton Park School)
20. Archie Smeaton - Yorkshire Carnegie (Hymers College)
21. Callum Pascoe - Northampton Saints (Millfield School)
22. Tom Curtis - Sale Sharks (Sedbergh School)
23. Phil Cokanasiga - London Irish (St Pauls College)
24. Josh Gillespie - Northampton Saints (Millfield School)
25. Will Haydon-Wood - Newcastle Falcons (Sedbergh School)