HITZ Traineeship

We have a great opportunity for 16–24-year-olds that are looking for work experience and to improve their employability skills. Our HITZ: Traineeship Programme will run across 15 weeks in which the students spend 3 days a week gaining valuable work experience and 2 days in our learning centre at the Coventry Building Society Arena with our HITZ Tutor and Officer completing employability skills work.

Kieran Bolton has started working at Park Sheet Metal in Exhall as a part picker after excelling in an 80-plus hour work placement organised through the Wasps’ HITZ programme.

The 17-year-old enrolled in the HITZ programme after deciding the traditional college education route wasn’t working for him.

He impressed Park Sheet Metal during the work placement and has been given the opportunity to continue to develop his skills with the automotive supplier – which works with customers including Aston Martin, Bentley and McLaren.

HITZ works with 16 to 19-year-olds to improve their maths and English, develop valuable life skills and earn other relevant qualifications. This work is coupled with organising work experience placements with local employers.

Kieran said: “Since starting the programme with Wasps it has been perfect for me. I don’t think I would have got an opportunity like this without HITZ.

“It’s a nice environment, the work isn’t too difficult but you still get a challenge from it. It makes you feel comfortable in your ability.

“It was really good to hear that Park Sheet Metal was interested in taking me on full-time, it’s my first job. I’m keen to keep growing, building experience, knowledge, and I’m really enjoying working here.”

Participants in the HITZ programme regularly report an increase in resilience, self-confidence, and aspiration as a result of their involvement, and over 70 per cent go on to achieve a positive progression into further education, training, or employment.

Ian Isham, Head of Community at Wasps, added: “Kieran has had to deal with a lot of challenges from an early age. Throughout the programme he has grown in confidence, his contribution in the classroom is fantastic and he has built great relationships with fellow students.

“It’s fantastic that Kieran has now gained full-time employment with Park Sheet Metal. He is the perfect example of what HITZ hopes to achieve and we will keep in touch with Kieran to see how he develops with the business.

For more information about HITZ or our Traineeship please contact:

Dom.Owen@Wasps.co.uk

For more information or to sign up to the traineeship please email Dom.Owen@wasps.co.uk