Men's Academy Pathway Physiotherapist / GSR / Sports Therapist
(Junior Academy & ACE)
The Academy Pathway Physiotherapist role will take a lead with the U18 Junior Academy squad as well as working across the Pathway and with the ACE College team.
This full-time, dedicated Academy role will be based between our affiliated ACE College, located at the City of Oxford College, along with time being spent at our Academy training base at the new Wasps Training centre in Henley in Arden. Time will also be spent across the Academy region in Schools supporting our ‘Next Best’ EAPs aged 16-18 when appropriate. Due to the split locations you must reside in an easily commutable distance to both locations.
You must be flexible in your commitment as you will be expected to work evenings, weekends and Matchdays.
The role requires excellent clinical knowledge, experience and a proven ability to work independently and ideally in managing an elite rugby caseload. The key requirements are a physiotherapy or graduate sports rehabilitator degree with experience of working/volunteering in Elite Sport. HCPC and CSP or BASRAT registration are essential. A PHICIS level 3 or equivalent qualifications would be desirable.
For the right candidate there would be the opportunity to pursue post-graduate study alongside this role as well as mentoring and support from across the whole Medical Services team.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- This is a dual role, providing physiotherapy support for both Wasps Junior Academy players and ACE 1st XV players at the City of Oxford College. The working week split will vary according to the demands at each point in the season but will be agreed in advance.
- For assigned caseload, to provide timely injury assessment, diagnosis and formulate treatment / rehabilitation plans with support from the wider medical team where appropriate.
- To develop excellent relationships with key stakeholders to support player health and recovery from injury. This will include information sharing and medical handovers with partner schools and provision of detailed weekly reports to the Academy Manager, relevant Wasps coaching staff and ACE Head Coach. You will be the lead on this for all Junior Academy players.
- Be a key member of the interdisciplinary team, to continue developing evidence-based medical practices within the Academy. Integrating Physiotherapy and S+C to optimise delivery and stakeholder engagement with physical rehabilitation for Wasps Academy players – “RTP The Wasps Way”
- Appropriate record keeping using Rugby Squad for all physiotherapy interventions and contact time with all players.
- To provide match-day care for agreed Academy team fixtures, leading on U18 fixtures.
- To provide a total of 4 weekly clinics, (2 minimum for Wasps Academy - Monday and Thursday evenings and 2 for City of Oxford College – Monday and Friday) to allow for evidence-based assessment and management of musculoskeletal injuries.
- Meet all of the RFU PHICIS Trauma Course qualifications, and attend courses annually as required.
- As part of the Academy Medical department, contribute to the ongoing development of medical provision for academy players at Wasps, through regular internal professional reflective practice – lead by protecting time with clinical supervisor every 3-4 weeks (to be scheduled in).
- Where appropriate arrange, coach and treat identified EAP U18 and U16 players through our outreach in school programme.
- Lead on maintaining medical supplies for Junior Academies and create orders from supported suppliers when needed, to be signed off by Academy Head Physiotherapist.
- Supported by Head Academy Physiotherapist, to lead on maintenance of Academy mandatory medical equipment, including completion of weekly checklists for compliance with RFU Medical Minimum Standards and identify items for renewal / re-order.
- Attend regular and scheduled Case Conferencing and lead on key areas, age groups and individual EAP players throughout the season to support their long-term athlete development and progression.
Closing date – 28th January 2022
Interviews – 7th / 8th February 2022
Salary – £20,000 - £23,000 per annum
Term – Fixed Term ASAP start until 30th June 2023
To apply please send your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com by 28th January 2022.