Wasps are committed to working with local communities, utilising the power of sport to provide opportunity, inspiration and education for all.
HITZ is Premiership Rugby’s award-winning education and employability programme which works with more than 2,000 young people, aged 14 - 19 years old, every year. HITZ, delivered nationally by Premiership Rugby’s 13 member clubs, aims to use rugby’s core values to develop the personal skills, life skills and employability skills of young people not in education, training or employment (NEET).
In order to help NEET audiences get back into training, education and employment we provide an alternative environment for young people to earn vital Maths and English qualifications. Alongside this we arrange valuable work experience opportunities and employer-led training sessions, as well as deliver essential enrichment and sporting activities to develop individuals and their mental/physical wellbeing. For more information please visit www.wasps.co.uk/HITZ.
The HITZ Officer position will be based at the Ricoh Arena with delivery of the programme in the surrounding areas. Due to the nature of the job some evening and weekend work will be required. Applicants must hold a valid driving license and have access to a suitable vehicle.
To develop the Wasps HITZ programme through engaging young people in accredited learning and work opportunities with sport at its core.
Main duties and responsibiities:
· Identify and recruit young people onto the HITZ programme & meet recruitment targets each year
· To coordinate & deliver outreach rugby and Multi Sport sessions at various venues, coordinate other events as and when appropriate. All activities should be appropriate to the needs of the target audience and be in-line with the HITZ strategic aims
· To be responsible for high quality delivery of community and social inclusion sessions
· To work with youth groups, schools, youth agencies, local authorities, pupil referral units & other community initiatives
· To keep accurate monitoring records for all sessions and contribute to the gathering and analysis of evaluation information on Upshot’s reporting system
· To work in partnership with the training provider to support young people with functional skills and foundation learning courses in the classroom
· Signpost the learners to positive progression routes: further education, apprenticeships and employment
· To liaise with local agencies to ensure growth and sustainability of the programme
· To maximise opportunities to raise awareness amongst the target audiences and the surrounding areas of rugby activities and encourage their participation
· To produce regular update reports for the Head of Community, Premiership Rugby and related partners as required
· To identify and follow up potential opportunities to develop activities in line with the strategic development of the HITZ programme
· Attend regional and national meetings as necessary
Required skills and experience:
· RFU Level 2 Coaching Award
· First Aid Qualified
· Proven experience of delivering coaching across age groups and environments
· Experience of working with hard to reach young people
· Experience of delivering social inclusion programmes to young people.
· Knowledge of Child protection and Safeguarding
· Strong interpersonal skills - ability to build strong relationships with people at all levels both external and internal
· Ability to perform in a busy environment
· Ability to work as part of a team and be flexible to change in an evolving business
· Ability to work to a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends
· Ability to make decisions and use own initiative
· Knowledge in managing and being responsible for budgets would be desirable
· Current UK Driving License
· Access to a car