About the role
The Academy Coach’s role will be primarily working with and leading the U18 and assisting, with the U16 Junior Academy Squads, including elite RFU (EAP) registered players. The ideal candidate will have previous experience of working with developing players and have a specialism of coaching backs and ‘attack’.
This full-time dedicated academy role will be based at the 1stXV training base, currently at Broad Street RFC, Coventry, along with time being spent at our Academy training base at the City of Oxford College, as well as across the Academy region in Schools supporting our ‘Next Best’ EAPs aged 16-18.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Deliver, develop and lead an excellent U18 Junior Academy programme that provides the required levels of coaching, strength and conditioning, medical and educational interventions to support the development of young players with potential to be elite performers.
- Lead, implement and monitor Individual Development Plans for all 17-18-year-old Wasps EAP Scholars in conjunction with the relevant age group staff and in collaboration with their support network, including their club, school, and England age group.
- Ensure all EAP players have an individualised playing programme: developing these in conjunction with Academy Management, and where appropriate key stakeholders.
- Oversee and lead on supporting ‘nominated’ 16-18-year-old identified EAPs and PDG players through our ‘Outreach school programme’. Working with them on technical, tactical, psycho-social/behavioural and lifestyle areas
- Assist the Academy u16 lead coach on a weekly basis, with the delivery and planning of all scheduled rugby sessions
- Maintain, support, and develop relationships with established our partner schools, ensuring excellent communication lines are maintained between Wasps Academy and its network of state and independent partner schools.
- Alongside the Academy Management and all other Academy Rugby Coaches take part in the ongoing review and development of an age-appropriate and progressive skills curriculum for the Academy from U14 upwards that can be shared and used across the County, DPP and PDG programmes up to U18
- To work with the Academy Operations Co-Ordinator on the administration tasks and communication processes of the U18’s squad, including those to players, parents, club & school coaches and other key stakeholders.
- To work alongside other Academy staff on developing and delivering a range of coach development initiatives.
- On agreed occasions, support and assist with the delivery to the Wasps Senior Academy.
- In conjunction with the Academy Performance Analyst undertake video review sessions and provide appropriate individual player and team feedback, including training, with EAP JA players.
- Provide specialist coaching support as appropriate (in line with specific coaching specialism) across all academy programmes, including Senior Academy.
- Develop own coaching practice/process and awareness of Talent ID, Development and Skill Acquisition, Pedagogy and Practice in order plan and promote our ‘Key Principles’ within our WASP and WARRIORS philosophy.
- Assist in the identification and recruitment of Academy and first team players from within the regional areas.
- RFU Level 3 or above Coaching award
- 3 plus years’ experience in coaching
- Current RFU DBS Holder / or ability to apply for one
- Valid Full UK Driving Licence
- RFU Level 4 coaching award (or equivalent)
- Experience Supporting Developing Athletes in an Academy or School Setting.
- Experience in previously playing elite level rugby union
How to apply:
To apply, please send your CV along with a covering letter to email@example.com
Closing Date: 5pm on Friday 5th March 2021
Interview Date: Week commencing 15th March 2021 – Social Distance Measures will be required and must be adhered to.