Click to skip to content
Return to the London Wasps home page

London Wasps A share the spoils with London Irish A

London Irish A 17 - 17 London Wasps A

London Wasps and London Irish finished level in Monday night's A League game at Sunbury in a game in which both sides looked to play some good attacking rugby.

It was London Irish who started the brighter when Sailosi Tagicakibau broke through the Wasps defence, picking up a bouncing ball to race into the visitors’ 22. Irish were awarded a penalty at the breakdown and Myles Dorrian had no issue with taking the three points on offer.

Wasps were quick to respond, playing patiently through the phases and showing some encouraging signs in the build up to their first score, with Neil Cochrane starting and finishing the move that included some good half breaks from both Liam O’Neil and Tom Howe. Tommy Bell added the conversion from the touchline to put Wasps ahead, 3-7.

That lead didn’t last for long with Irish returning to the attack immediately from the kick off. The home side looked to have scored when they bundled over after a mix up from the restart but the referee awarded a five metre scrum, having judged the ball to have been held up. From the resulting scrum however Tagicakibau glided through under the posts after a simple move. Dorrian added the extras to put the hosts into a 10-7 lead.

It was not until 31 minutes into the game that more points were added to the scoreboard and these were in the visitors’ favour. With possession having changed numerous times, it was Wasps who grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and put together a good, patient attack, which took them deep into the Irish 22. Wasps were awarded a penalty and Bell had took the shot at goal to level the scores at ten a piece and that was how the scores stayed until the break, despite some enterprising play from the visitors.

At halftime Charles Incledon replaced Sonny Parker.

After 8 minutes of the second half, Will Helu came off of the bench to make his first appearance for the Club, replacing George Eastwell at inside centre. Two minutes later Alex Lundburg replaced Taione Vea and minutes after that Tommy Spinks came on for Gus Jones.

London Irish looked certain to score after 56 minutes when a good up and under was fumbled and Elliot Cox pounced on the ball, racing down the touchline. He looked clear but Liam O’Neil showed some outstanding pace to chase him down to stop what looked like a certain try.

With the scores level for most of the second half, and both sides showing some promise with ball in hand, it was the home side who finally got their noses in front when Andrew Fenby went over after skipping through a weak tackle out wide after 64 minutes. Dorrian added the extras to give his side a 17-10 lead.

After 73 minutes Jamie Kilbane replaced Oskar Hirskyj-Douglas and Anthony Brennan replaced Neil Cochrane.

Wasps leveled the scores with 3 minutes of the game left to play. A lineout around the 22 metre line gave Wasps a good platform from which they set up a strong driving maul and powered their way over the line. Bell nailed a tough conversion to bring the scores level at 17 each which was how the game finished.

More Pictures