Click to skip to content
Return to the London Wasps home page

Post Match Reaction: Dai Young

Director of Rugby Dai Young gives his reaction to the 23-20 loss at the hands of London Irish.

After the game, Young did not hold back, saying that his side’s performance was both ‘tired and flat’.

“I thought that we took a step back today. Last week was heartbreaking but we played well. This week we were a shadow of ourselves; we looked flat and tired. We lacked that sparkle we have had in recent weeks and we need to get that back as soon as possible.”

“We just didn’t play at all this afternoon. I thought that Irish showed more intent and more aggression in everything they did today. We lost all the collisions both with and without the ball and were dominated at the tackle area.”

Young drew attention in particular to the first 25 minutes, where his side leaked 17 points.

“We were hugely disappointed with our first 25 minutes and we gifted them 17 points. The first try was an individual error, and the second try came from a penalty around halfway that gave them the field position to then score. We then gave away a stupid penalty and we had pretty much gifted them 17 points.”

“I thought that they were far better than us today and were good for their win. We never really functioned and we have to look at ourselves. We never got past three or four phases all game. We had real problems at the tackle area getting our game going, if we didn’t get turned over they slowed us right down and we really struggled then to get any pace into our game.”

“In saying all of that, we were still in with a shout towards the end. We were six points down when Irish went down to 14 men, with the wind behind us and you would have to back us from that position. You would think that we would have enough to win it from there but today we just didn’t do it.”

That incident happened in the 48th minute, when Tomas O’Leary was given a red card for his boot coming into contact with James Haskell’s head. Young was quick to dismiss any suggestion that there was malice involved.

“It was reckless more than vicious. It is one of those were you are going to clear the ball, everything happens so quickly. No one goes to make contact with the head. There was only one decision that could have been made but I don’t think for one minute the player is that type of player.”

Wasps will travel to The Rec next weekend where they will face Bath, before returning to Adams Park the following weekend to host Sale Sharks.