Click to skip to content
Return to the London Wasps home page

Wasps A show spirit at Sandy Park

Exeter Braves 20 - 5 Wasps A

Wasps A produced a spirited second half display to hold Exeter scoreless and win the half 5-0 having been 20-nil down at half time.

Exeter started the game in efficient fashion, collecting their own kick off, working through the phases, moving deep into the Wasps half and winning a penalty in front of the posts, from which Myles Dorrian opted to take the 3 points and put his side in front with an early lead.

Wasps restarted the game and put the pressure on Exeter around their 22 metre line. However, Exeter grabbed the initiative and put the ball through the hands, breaking the Wasps line on their own 10 metre line and moving quickly upfield before a good tackle from Liam O’Neill stopped a certain try. Exeter reacted well, calmly organising a few phases before Dorrian grubbered through the onrushing Wasps defence to leave Mark Foster free to collect the ball and touch down for the first try of the game. Dorrian was unable to convert and the score remained Exeter Braves 8 – 0 Wasps.

Exeter had to wait a bit longer before their second try but it did eventually come after 17 minutes. Good handling from the Exeter backline put Bryan Rennie one on one with the covering defender out wide on the right but he bulldozed his way through the challenge to go over near the touchline. Dorrian converted from out wide to put Exeter 15 points in front.

Wasps had their first real attack after 21 minutes when Jamie Stevenson took a quick tap and moved Wasps up into the Exeter 22, but a knock on ended the attack, which was looking promising.

Matt Everard limped from the field and was replaced by James Harris on 23 minutes.

Another good attack from Wasps ended with a knock on but Wasps were now getting a lot more ball and starting to get into the game far more often.

However, it was Exeter who were next to make a mark on the scoreboard. Exeter moved the ball wide quickly to good effect, beating the rushing defence to put Rennie in for his second of the evening. Dorrian failed to convert and Exeter were further in front, 20-0.

Wasps continued to work hard to change the flow of the game. Nathan Morris made a good break from his own 10 metre line and some good offloading moved Wasps into the Exeter 22. Wasps, who were going forward at a threatening pace, were awarded a penalty in front of the posts, less than 22 out, but Davis opted for touch instead. However, Wasps’ ambition wasn’t rewarded, with Exeter turning the ball over, moving the ball wide and making good ground, stopped only by a good tackle out wide from Lee Robinson, ending the half with the score Exeter Braves 20 – 0 London Wasps A.

Two changes at half time saw Willie Lipp and Vladislav Korshunov come on for Dave Shotton and Nathan Morris.

Wasps started the second half well, occupying the Exeter half for the majority of the opening twenty minutes of the second period.

Shaun Morris and Sam Arnott come onto the field for Charlie Ingall and Jamie Stevenson with about 25 minutes to play.

Both Wasps and Exeter were looking dangerous with the ball in hand, but neither side was able to change the scoreboard.

At times, the Wasps defence came under some serious pressure, but coped well with the danger Exeter posed.

A good break from Tinus DuPlessis, who has been popping up with the ball in hand and taclking well throughout the game, started a neat move for Wasps but again they were unable to challenge the line after moving into the Exeter 22.

Wasps made two more changes, with Will Bigley and Dave Shotton, who had come off earlier, coming on for Jeremy Castex and Heinz Koll.

Superb distribution from Will Robinson gave Shaun Morris a chance to stretch his legs, and showed some real pace down the touchline, but a good tackle from the covering defender forced the move to break down.

Wasps made three more substitutions, with Guillermo Roan, Henry Purdy and Jack Daly on for Bob Baker, Will Robinson and Lee Robinson, with just over 5 minutes remaining.

Another good break, this time from Willie Lipp, who fended off a number of attempted tackles, moved Wasps deep into the Exeter half, where Wasps were awarded a scrum.

From the scrum, Wasps moved the ball wide, Ryan Davis hitting Alex Cheesman on a hard line which sliced through the defence. He shifted the ball wide to Shaun Morris, who stepped inside and bundled himself over in the corner to score Wasps’ first points of the game. The conversion was unsuccessful and the referee blew his whistle to mark the end of the game. Final score Exeter Braves 20 – 5 Wasps.

Wasps 1st team take on London Irish this weekend at Adams Park in a crunch Aviva Premiership clash. To secure your place at the game, call 0844 225 2990 or book online here.

London Wasps A team to play Exeter Braves

15 Liam O’Neill (Wasps AASE)
14 Lee Robinson
13 Alex Cheesman
12 Will Robinson
11 Charlie Ingall
10 Ryan Davis
9 Jamie Stevenson (London Scottish)
1 Bob Baker
2 Nathan Morris
3 Jeremy Castex
4 Dave Shotton (Tring)
5 Heinz Koll
6 Tinus Du Plessis
7 Matt Everard
8 Victor Gresev

16 Vladislav Korshinov
17 Will Bigley (Henley)
18 Guillermo Roan
19 Willie Lipp (London Scottish)
20 James Harris
21 Sam Arnott (Southend)
22 Henry Purdy (Wasps EPDG)
23 Shaun Morris (Oxford)
24 Jack Daly (AASE)

Exeter Chiefs

15 Luke Treherne
14 Mark Foster
13 Sam Jones
12 Bryan Rennie
11 Chris Crane
10 Myles Dorrian
9 Pat Phibbs
1 Chris Budgen
2 Simon Alcott
3 John Andress
4 Chris Bentley
5 James Phillips
6 Herbie Stupple
7 Ben White
8 Chad Slade

16 Tom Cowan-Dickie
17 Jon Vickers
18 Lloyd Fairbrother
19 Ben Rogers
20 Sam Blanchet
21 Junior Poluleuligaga
22 James Lightfoot-Brown
23 Dante O'Reilly