Return to the London Wasps home page
Match Report

02 Nov 2002: Wasps v Leicester Tigers

Please use the buttons below to see more information on Leicester Tigers and matches between Wasps and Tigers over the years.

Match Report
Tigers's Badge Leicester Tigers 9
Wasps's Badge Wasps 6
Fixture Type: Zurich Premiership Venue: Welford Road
Match Date: Sat 02 Nov 2002, Kick Off: 15:00
Referee: Chris White

London Wasps beaten in low scoring game

London Wasps lost 9-6 to the Leicester Tigers in a very wet, low scoring match at Welford Road today.

All 15 points came from the boot. Tim Stimpson getting three penalties with Mark Van Gisbergen slotting two. <1>

Leicester came out firing, and nearly scored in the first minute, when Jamie Hamilton gathered up a Geordan Murphy up-and-under in front of the London Wasps posts. The Tigers pressed for the try but The Men in Black held firm and managed to escape the early onslaught.

It took New Zealander, Mark Van Gisbergen, to open the scoring from London Wasps, with a penalty in the eighth minute. The game was always going to be kicking affairs with the wet conditions making it difficult for both sides to get into any rhythm.

After 18 minutes, the Tigers flyhalf, Tim Stimpson, equalised with a penalty and the game settled into the kicking affair. Two Stimpson penalties later in the half and another one from Van Gisbergen, took the sides into half time with the scores at 9-6.

Tigers dominated parts of the match, but the foul weather forced mistakes from both sides. Tigers missed a number of opportunities and a strong Wasps defence closed down the team.

The introduction of Rob Howley helped London Wasps step up their game in the final quarter. His arrival changed the game and a mistake from the Tigers gave London Wasps a try scoring opportunity, with strong pressure from Howley, and the mistake nearly paid off for London Wasps. It didn't, however, and The Tigers managed to hold Wasps back in the second half.

Both sides were unable to score from attempts at goal to leave the second half scoreless and the final result 9-6 to the home side. <2>

In what will be remembered as a wet, forgettable match by those who attended, the game did mark the return of some key players for London Wasps. Fraser Waters and Mark Lock returned from hernia operations and will provide London Wasps with that extra firepower.