Return to the London Wasps home page
Match Report

27 Aug 2011: Wasps v Benetton Treviso

Please use the buttons below to see more information on Benetton Treviso and matches between Wasps and Treviso over the years.

Match Report
Wasps's Badge Wasps 54
Treviso's Badge Benetton Treviso 11
Fixture Type: Friendly Venue: Home
Match Date: Sat 27 Aug 2011, Kick Off: 14:00

Eight try Wasps too good for Treviso

Wasps ended their pre-season programme with a convincing 54-11 win over Italy’s top club side.

Joe Launchbury was on the score-sheet for Wasps

Joe Launchbury was on the score-sheet for Wasps

The early stages of the game were evenly contested, with the visitors taking a 6-0 lead before Wasps went up a gear. Once ahead, they took complete control and treated the crowd to some entertaining rugby in running in eight tries.

Wasps had the first scoring opportunity after three minutes when they won a lineout near the right corner. Joe Launchbury made a strong drive for the line but the ball was dislodged and Wasps were penalised at the breakdown. The Wasps pack then laid down a marker with a superb scrum which sent the visitors several yards backwards at a rate of knots.

It was the visitors who went ahead after ten minutes, when Willem De Waal landed a 40-metre penalty following a Wasps offence at a lineout.

Wasps then stole a lineout near the Treviso line and mounted a sustained attack, which almost ended in a try when left-winger Christian Wade appeared out wide on the right and fed Hugo Southwell, who was stopped just short.

Riki Flutey in action against Treviso

Riki Flutey in action against Treviso

Treviso appeared certain to score after winning a turnover. Fullback Brendan Williams raced away with Richard Haughton in hot pursuit. Fifteen metres short, Williams checked, and tried to cut inside but Haughton managed to bring him down and Wasps won a turnover. Two minutes later, De Waal stretched Treviso’s lead, with a simple penalty from in front of the posts.

The centre then had an opportunity to add another three points when the Wasps scrum was penalised on halfway, but his well-struck kick was just off target.

Wasps finally opened their account with a try by Joe Launchbury. It resulted from a raking downfield kick by Southwell, which took play deep into the Treviso 22. Williams gathered and beat several would-be tacklers before running into a wall of black and gold. Wasps won a turnover, and moved the ball out to the right. Chris Bell made good ground, and the ball came back infield where Launchbury appeared at pace to burst through some weak tackling to charge over between the posts.Nick Robinson added the extra points to put Wasps ahead for the first time.

Buoyed by this, Wasps then produced a sustained attack in which the forwards showed power and skill to drive their way deep into the Treviso 22 where they were awarded a penalty, which they kicked to the corner. James Cannon won the lineout but Wasps were then penalised and Treviso cleared to near halfway.

Williams produced another mazy run, to make good ground, and Wasps were penalised, just over 15 metres inside their own half, giving De Waal another kick at goal, but he pulled it to the right of the posts, six minutes before halftime.

Two minutes later, Wasps stretched their lead, after Treviso tried to launch a counterattack, from just outside their 22. They had numbers on the right, but a long pass was intercepted by Charlie Davies. He juggled with the ball, but managed to keep hold of it, before racing away from the defence, to go over between the posts, giving Robinson another simple conversion.

As the game entered injury time, Wasps added a third try when Robinson sent Bell over near the posts. It rounded off another flowing attack, which began with Haughton breaking down the right wing and featured another important contribution from Launchbury. Robinson’s conversion made the halftime score 21-6.

Inside the first minute of the second half, a slick Wasps move saw Haughton come into the line from the blind-side wing, to race through a gap. He fed an inside pass to Riki Flutey, who went for the line, but lost possession as he tried to go over.

Two minutes later, they seemed to have scored, when another flowing move sent Haughton racing over in the right but Southwell’s pass to the winger was adjusged to have gone forwards.

The fourth try was not long in coming, as backs and forwards again combined well with Chris Bell going close, before the ball popped up for Joe Burton to crash over. Robinson could not add the extra points, but he had the simplest of conversions minute later when Wasps attacked from deep inside their own half and Haughton raced away down the right. He had Bell and Southwell on his inside and Brendan Williams in front of him but he dummied the fullback to go over unopposed between the posts. Robinson’s conversion made it 33-6.

Wasps hit the 40 mark just over a minute later, when Christian Wade, who’d already produced some scintillating bursts, gathered a loose ball to go over between the posts, giving Robinson another simple conversion. Almost from the restart, Wade added his second, when he snatched another loose ball, and left the defence for dead. Robinson had another easy kick, to stretch the lead to 47-6.

Treviso came close to a try, when they found a rare gap in midfield. Williams again showed his elusive running, and a score seemed certain until replacement Chris Mayor pulled off a crucial interception, right on the line.

With Wasps making multiple replacements, Treviso began to pose more of a threat, but Wasps rediscovered their rhythm, and should have added an eighth try, with just over ten minutes to go. Bell made another strong run down the left, losing a boot in the process. He managed to keep going and found Wade in support but his inside pass was out of the winger’s reach with the hat-trick score beckoning.

The half-century came up, when Mayor went over in the corner after a typical bulldozing charge by Billy Vunipola. Robinson landed a magnificent touchline conversion, making it 54-6, with just over five minutes left.

Two minutes from time, Treviso replacement Benjamin de Jager broke away for a consolation try in the corner. Another replacement, Alberto di Bernardo, missed the touchline conversion.

A final Wasps attack, featuring another explosive run from Wade almost produced a ninth try but a pass was dropped in midfield and the final whistle went after eighty minutes of entertaining rugby.

The Aviva Premiership season gets under way next Saturday, when Wasps take on champions Saracens, in the London Double Header at Twickenham. Then, on Sunday the 17th of September, Leicester Tigers are the visitors to Adams Park, in Wasps’ first home game of the new campaign.

15 Hugo Southwell , 14 Richard Haugthon , 13 Chris Bell , 12 Riki Flutey , 11 Christian Wade , 10 Nick Robinson , 9 Charlie Davies , 1 Jeremy Castex , 2 Tom Lindsay , 3 Ben Broster, 4 Joe Launchbury , 5 James Cannon , 6 Genaro Fessia , 7 Joe Burton , 8 John Hart ( c)

16. Nathan Morris, 17 Simon McIntyre , 18 Bob Baker , 19 Billy Vunipola , 20 Matt Everard , 21 Jonah Holmes , 22 Chris Mayor , 23 Alex Cheesman , 26 Ryan Davis

15 Brendan Williams 14 Michele Sepe 13 Willem de Waal 12 Andrea Pratichetti 11 Luca Morisi 10 Tommaso Iannnone 9 Alberto Cji;llom 1 Michele Rizzo 2 Diego Vidal 3 Pedro Di Santo 4 Pedro Gonzalo 5 Valerio Bernabo 6 Francesco Minto 7 Benjamin Vermaak 8 Manoa Vosawai

Replacements: 16 Enrico Ceccato 17 Matteo Muccignat 18 Carlo Fazzari 19 Enrico Pavanello 20 Marco Filippucci 21 Simon Picone 22 Alberto Di Bernardo 23 Benjamin De Jager 24 Franco Sbaraglini 25 Marco Barbini 26 Alberto Chiesa