Return to the London Wasps home page
Match Report

10 Feb 2002: Wasps v Bristol Shoguns

Please use the buttons below to see more information on Bristol Shoguns and matches between Wasps and Bristol over the years.

Match Report
Wasps's Badge Wasps 34
Bristol's Badge Bristol Rugby 16
Fixture Type: Zurich Premiership Venue: Loftus Road
Match Date: Sun 10 Feb 2002, Kick Off: 15:00
Referee: Steve Lander

Quins take honours in last A League outing

This season’s A League campaign came to a disappointing end for the men in Black and Gold, beaten by A Harlequins side hungry for the win which could guarantee top place in the southern division.

Quins took the lead after an opening passage of play which lasted an astonishing four-and-a-half minutes. Both sides were moving the ball from the outset, but a Wasps handling error, in the Quins 22, gave the home team the chance to counterattack strongly.

After establishing a foothold in the Wasps 22, they worked the ball through several phases, before Nils Mordt burst through a tackle to make a burst for the line. He was stopped just short, but the ball was recycled quickly, and lock Lewis Stevenson crashed over near the corner. Waisea Luvenyali could not add the extra points.

Rob Kirby made the score 5-3, with a 13th minute penalty from 40 metres, but Quins added their second try five minutes later when a controlled buildup set up the chance for Luvenyali to go over. He was again off target with his conversion. Three minutes later though he made no mistake, after the massive Quins pack had set up their third try from hooker Aston Croall. They won a lineout, just inside the Wasps 22 and an unstoppable drive ended with Croall diving over.

Another Kirby penalty narrowed the gap to 17-6, before the dominant Quins pack added the bonus point just before halftime. This time it came from a powerful scrimmage and a strike against the head inside the Wasps 22. Josh Drauinui came into the line at pace, from the blindside wing and went over by the posts. Luvenyali’s conversion made the halftime score 24-6.

Within three minutes of the restart, Wasps were a man down after Gabriel Bocca was shown the yellow card, for charging in to clear a Quins player from a ruck, after a penalty had been awarded to Wasps. The reversed penalty was kicked to the corner and another catch and drive saw Quins go through several phases, before Croall powered his way over, for his second try of the night, converted by Luvenyali.

Wasps’ spirits were briefly lifted when Charlie Beech came on for Bocca, to make his first appearance since November, but Quins were now in complete control and the sixth try came on the hour when Luvenyali lifted a neat chip over the Wasps defence and Mordt followed up to touch down near the posts. Luvenyali’s conversion made the score 38-6. It was Wasps who came closest to a try, in the final quarter, but they were unable to find a way through the home defence and the game ended with Quins deep in Wasps territory.

Jack Wallace; Marvin Christians, Elliot Daley (rep. Chris Elder), Will East (rep. Paul Humphries), Christian Wade; Rob Kirby, Warren Fury (rep. Matt Heeks); Gabriel Bocca (rep. Charlie Beech), Tom Lindsay (c) (rep. Arthur Ellis), Bob Baker (rep. Thebiso Mngomezulu), Joe Launchbury, Hugo Ellis (rep. Sam Jones), Billy Vinipola, Mark Odejobi, Will Matthews

15 Ollie Lindsay-Hague, 14 Josh Drauiniu , 13 Nils Mordt, 12 Tosh Masson, 11 Sam Smith, 10 Waisea Luvenyali, 9 Karl Dickson, 1 Joe Marler, 2 Aston Croall, 3 James Johnston, 4 Sam Twomey, 5 Lewis Stevenson, 6 Tomas Vallejos, 7 Neil McMillan (Capt), 8 Luke Wallace
16 Rob Buchanan, 17 Darryl Marfo , 18 Dan Frazier , 19 George Merrick, 20 Seb Jewell , 21 Howard Graham, 22 Miles Mantella