Return to the London Wasps home page
Match Report

28 Mar 2001: Wasps v Newcastle Falcons

Please use the buttons below to see more information on Newcastle Falcons and matches between Wasps and Falcons over the years.

Match Report
Falcons's Badge Wasps 44
Wasps's Badge Wasps 7
Fixture Type: Zurich Premiership Venue: Loftus Road
Match Date: Wed 28 Mar 2001, Kick Off: 19:45
Referee: Steve Lander

Wasps 44 Newcastle 7

Zurich Premiership

28th March, 2001. Loftus Road, KO 7.45pm

In heavy driving rain London Wasps moved nearer to their dream of finishing second in the Zurich Premiership by demolishing Newcastle Falcons who were without England hero Jonny Wilkinson.

The weather and tube strike reduced the crowd to 3,444 for this vital fixture at Loftus Road.

Fly-half Alex King opened the scoring in the eighth minute when he got to a flying loose ball on the right which was converted by Kenny Logan.

And just outside the Falcons 22-metre area, Logan struck again with a powerful penalty kick in the 16th minute taking the home side into a clear lead.

Piling on the pressure, centre Mark Denney notched up a further five points with a try, converted by Logan.

When the pack tore down the left in the 31st minute, it was hooker Trevor Leota who was credited with the try after some hesitation from referee Chris Lander but Logan saw his conversion attempt go wide.

A breakaway from them all in the 37th minute left skipper Lawrence Dallaglio with only a few steps to take to place the ball over the line, with the conversion being made by Logan.

Letting Newcastle know the pressure was still on, Logan lobbed a thundering penalty through the uprights in the 47th minute.

The much needed Falcons score came in the 56th minute when full-back Pete Massey took the Wasps side by surprise to score a try with fly-half David Walder converting.

The stadium erupted with delight in the 61st minute when Logan placed the ball over - and then made his own conversion.

Tempers flared and in the 75th minute Newcastle Mike Howe was sin-binned for fighting and in a separate incident seconds later Wasps Phil Greening was also sin-binned.

But by that stage, Wasps' were clear and wrapped up the in injury time when Harvey Biljon scored the final try.


Tries: Harvey Bijon, Lawrence Dallaglio, Alex King, Kenny Logan, Mark Denney, Trevor Leota

Cons: Kenny Logan 4

Pens: Kenny Logan 2



Tries: Peter Massey


Newcastle: David Walder

H-T: 29-0