Return to the London Wasps home page
Match Report

06 Sep 2000: Wasps v Saracens

Please use the buttons below to see more information on Saracens and matches between Wasps and Saracens over the years.

Match Report
Saracens's Badge Saracens 24
Wasps's Badge Wasps 30
Fixture Type: Zurich Premiership Venue: Vicarage Road
Match Date: Wed 06 Sep 2000, Kick Off: 19:45
Referee: Geoff Warren

Saracens 24 Wasps 30

Zurich Premiership


Tries: Diprose, Johnson
Cons: McRae
Pens: Castaignede 3, McRae


Tries: Henderson, Sampson 2
Cons: Leek 3
Pens: Leek 3

Att: 7,312
Captain Lawrence Dallaglio's return inspired Wasps to victory for the second game in a row and inflict Saracens' second-straight defeat in a hard-fought local derby clash.

The game marked a triumphant return for Dallaglio, man-of-the-match Matthew Leek to his former club and Paul Sampson after an unhappy spell in Rugby League with Wakefield Wildcats.

After going eight points down early in the first half, Wasps played with the greater passion and urgency throughout and ran out deserved winners.

The home side however took an early lead. Wasps were caught in possession inside their own half and Ben Johnston ignored a two-man overlap, cutting inside to drive home Sarries early advantage.

Thomas Castaignede converted a 10th minute penalty to put the home side further ahead but it was otherwise a disappointing evening for the full-back who later had his kicking duties taken from him by fly-half Duncan McCrae.

Leek converted a penalty to bring Wasps back to within five points but Castaignede restored Sarries' eight-point lead shortly afterwards.

Leek then kicked another penalty for Wasps following indiscipline at the ruck and on the half-hour they took the lead.

Saracens were caught in possession and despite appearing to knock-on, Rob Henderson charged through to score.

Wasps continued to push home their superior possession another Leek penalty was followed up shortly after half-time by another try after Joe Worsley picked up a wayward Saracens pass. The ball was fed out through Leek and Henderson for Paul Sampson to score in the corner.

The home side hit back when they pushed over from a line-out, Tony Diprose getting the crucial touch on the ground and McCrae converted then kicked a penalty to reduce the arrears to two points.

However nine minutes from time, a second Sampson try and conversion effectively settled the game.

Simon Shaw won the line-out, the ball was fed across the line, Martyn Wood, Leek and Henderson combined to find the Wasps winger wide on the left to charge in at the corner.

McCrae again pulled Sarries back to within one score with his boot, converting a 35-yard penalty but despite late pressure they couldn't find the crucial breakthrough as the Wasps defence held firm at the death.