Return to the London Wasps home page
Match Report

14 Sep 2013: Wasps v Exeter Chiefs

Please use the buttons below to see more information on Exeter Chiefs and matches between Wasps and Exeter over the years.

Match Report
Exeter's Badge Exeter Chiefs 30
Wasps's Badge Wasps 26
Fixture Type: Aviva Premiership Venue: Sandy Park Stadium
Match Date: Sat 14 Sep 2013, Kick Off: 15:00
Referee: Martin Fox Assistant Referee: Roger Baileff
TV Match Official: Geoff Warren Assistant Referee: Peter Huckle

Late fightback not enough in Exeter

Wasps are still looking for their first win of the new Premiership season, after a narrow defeat to Exeter Chiefs

At one stage they were 18 points down, but a late fightback produced two tries and a consolation bonus point.

Wasps went ahead after two minutes, when Andy Goode landed a penalty from just outside the Exeter 22.

Some characteristically elusive footwork by Christian Wade near the right touchline then set up an impressive Wasps attack, but a handling error in midfield ended a promising position.

With 8 minutes gone, another lineout win on the left led to a well-controlled drive towards the Exeter 22. It produced a penalty, five metres in from touch and Andy Goode was again on target, from 35 metres.

Wasps failed to control the restart, and Exeter built up their first series of phases, culminating in a penalty for not rolling away, 5 metres outside the 22.Gareth Steenson made no mistake, to make the score 6-3, after 12 minutes.

Two minutes later, the home side were ahead, when Tom James went over near the posts after Steenson went through a gap on the left, to take play into the Wasps 22. The defence repelled a series of drives for the line by the home forwards. They succeeded in sucking defenders to create the space on the right which James exploited to the full. Steenson added the simple conversion.

Wasps had a chance to pull back three points, when Andrea Masi was the victim of a high tackle, a metre inside the Exeter half, but Goode mishit his kick, which fell short and wide.

The men in Black and Gold then threatened, from a scrum in midfield. Ed Jackson fed Joe Simpson quickly, and the scrumhalf threw a long pass out to Christian Wade, who raced away down the right, only to be called back for a forward pass.

From the resultant scrum the Wasps eight produced a powerful drive to win a penalty, 43 metres out. This time, Goode struck the ball beautifully to send the ball sailing between the posts for three points.

Straight from the restart, Wasps allowed winger Ian Whitten to claim the ball, and he cut into the Wasps 22. A penalty ensued and Steenson made no mistake, to restore the home side's four-point advantage.

Wasps responded with an excellent passage of play, which featured strong runs by both Ed Jackson and Sam Jones. The pressure was mounting when Jones had the ball ripped from him in the tackle. Exeter cleared downfield, and Christian Wade had to cover back to clear. From the lineout, Haydn Thomas made a dart around the end of the lineout. He was stopped by a high tackle by Ashley Johnson - a costly moment for Wasps, as Steenson landed another three points, and Johnson was sent to the sin bin.

Wasps then stepped up a gear to produce their best period of the game, with a series of sweeping moves stretching the home defence out wide, with Christian Wade and Josh Bassett both featuring prominently. A series of phases built up an excellent position a few metres from the line, but the ball squirted out of a ruck and Exeter were able to relieve the pressure. It was only a temporary reprieve, as further Wasps pressure yielded another penalty, 35 metres out, near the right touchline. Goode's excellent kick made the halftime score 16-11.

Wasps started the second half positively, controlling the ball for the best part of two minutes - but they made little ground, and the pressure ended when Andy Goode threw a long forward pass out to the left, just outside the Exeter 22.

They were boosted by Johnson's return from the sin bin, but immediately conceded a scrum penalty, enabling Exeter to clear into the Wasps half.

Ten minutes after the break, Exeter struck a crucial blow with their second try of the game, following an an attack down the left and a kick-ahead, deep into the 22. Christian Wade went back to fall on the ball, but failed to control it. Exeter arrived en masse, and the ball was popped up for James Scaysbrook to stroll over unopposed. Another simple Steenson conversion stretched the home lead to a commanding 11 points.

Things almost got worse, when Haydn Thomas stole away down the unguarded blindside and almost made it to the Wasps line before the defence managed to get back and steal possession.

It was the Exeter scrumhalf who started the move which led to the third Exeter try, on the hour mark. He took a quick penalty, just inside his own half, the ball was moved infield, Wasps missed a crucial tackle and Tom James raced in from 40 metres. Steenson was again on target, and the home side were now in complete control,with a 30-12 lead.

Wasps came close to a try, when Ashley Johnson burst off a scrum near the Exeter line. Two metres short, he tried an inside pass, but it fell into a defender's hands.

Wasps finally found a way through the home defence, when Christian Wade finished off a long passage of play which began with a fine break by Andy Goode. The flyhalf landed the conversion, to make the score 30-19, with just over ten minutes left.

With a bonus point now within reach, Wasps threw everything at the home defence in the closing minutes, but they were kept out until the 77th minute. A penalty inside the 22 was kicked to the corner, the forwards won the ball and a beautifully controlled drive ended with Ashley Johnson going over for a try, which Goode converted, to secure a bonus point

Wasps continue their travels next weekend, when they visit Sale Sharks on Friday evening.

Their first Adams Park appearance of the season will be on Saturday, September the 28th, when Worcester Warriors are the visitors.

Wasps team: Andrea Masi; Christian Wade, Charlie Hayter, Chris Bell (Capt.), Josh Bassett; Andy Goode, Joe Simpson; Matt Mullan, Tom Lindsay, Jake Cooper-Woolley, Joe Launchbury, Tom Palmer, Ashley Johnson, Sam Jones, Ed Jackson

Replacements: Neil Cochrane, Simon McIntyre, Will Taylor, James Cannon, Guy Thompson, Charlie Davies, Tommy Bell, Ben Jacobs

Exeter: Phil Dollman; Ian Whitten, Jason Shoemark, Sam Hill, Tom James; Gareth Steenson, Haydn Thomas; Brett Sturgess, Jack Yeandle, Hoani Tui, Dean Mumm (capt.), Damian Welch, Tom Johnson, James Scaysbrook, Dave Ewers

Replacements: Chris Whitehead, Ben Moon, Craig Mitchell, Tom Hayes, Ben White, Dave Lewis, Henry Slade, Matt Jess