Return to the London Wasps home page
Match Report

14 Jan 2001: Wasps v Swansea

Please use the buttons below to see more information on Swansea and matches between Wasps and Swansea over the years.

Match Report
Swansea's Badge Wasps 28
Wasps's Badge Wasps 16
Fixture Type: Heineken Cup Venue: Loftus Road
Match Date: Sun 14 Jan 2001, Kick Off: 15:00
Referee: Claudio Giacomel

Wasps 28 Swansea 16

Heineken Cup

14 January, 2001. Loftus Road, KO 3pm

Wasps produced an impressive performance at Loftus Road, to regain some pride for their heavy defeat by Swansea earlier in this competition.

The visitors might have had one eye on that Jean Bouin Stadium showdown, given how they fell away after leading midway through the second period.

But Wasps deservedly took the spoils, steered home by two Paul Sampson tries, one from England lock Simon Shaw and kicker Kenny Logan's 13 points.

Wasps, already out following three reversals, were clearly motivated by their 54-28 drubbing at Swansea last October as they roared ahead inside five minutes.

Centre Fraser Waters broke clear from deep inside his own half, found Sampson in support, and the Wasps full-back gathered a volleyed kick ahead to outstrip Swansea's retreating cover defence.

Logan converted, but the All Whites were level within two minutes, skipper Scott Gibbs and full-back Kevin Morgan slicing Wasps open for wing Matthew Robinson to finish off a brilliant move.

Robinson stung Wasps with four tries at St Helens three months ago, and he was clearly in the mood for more.

Thomas converted, then kicked a penalty after Logan had edged Wasps ahead, before Swansea suffered an injury blow when number eight Hywel Jenkins limped off to be replaced by Paul Moriarty.

Logan twice fumbled high kicks under no pressure whatsoever as both sides engaged in a sparring bout for the next score after an eventful opening quarter ended deadlocked at 10-10.

Thomas (twice) and Logan both missed further penalty chances, but Swansea remained the more dangerous outfit, underlined when scrum-half Sililo Martens scythed through from deep and centre Steve Winn later left Wasps defenders trailing, yet such adventure failed to produce a try.

Thomas inched Swansea in front during first-half injury time - Italian referee Claudio Giacomel penalising Wasps lock Andy Reed - to give them a 13-10 advantage.

Not to be outdone, Swansea possessed their own creative counter-attacker - flanker Colin Charvis - whose strength and deft left boot took the All Whites back upfield, allowing Thomas an easy penalty kick as Wasps infringed.

But Wasps were not to be denied, capitalising on an expertly-placed Alex King kick that gave him a second try with more than 20 minutes remaining.

Before Swansea could recover, they slipped further behind when the Wasps forwards drove relentlessly from close range and Shaw bundled his way over.

Swansea had no way back after that, despite the occasional attacking flurry, and Wasps comfortably preserved their lead to record a triumph, albeit irrelevant in terms of this season's Heineken Cup.


Tries: Sampson 2, Shaw

Cons:Logan 2

Pens:Logan 3

Wasps: Sampson, Roiser, Waters, Henderson, Logan, King, Wood, Le Chevalier, Leota, Webb, Reed, Shaw, Birkett, Worsley, Dallaglio.

Replacements: Denney for Waters (68), Leek for King (75), Macer for Leota (69), Molloy for Webb (70), Beardshaw for Reed (45).


Tries: Robson

Cons: A. Thomas

Pens: A. Thomas 3
Swansea: : K. Morgan, Payne, Winn, Gibbs, Robson, A. Thomas, Martens, Morris, G. Jenkins, Evans, Maullin, Moore, Charvis, Lewis, H. Jenkins.

Replacements: R. Jones for Martens (70), Anthony for G. Jenkins (69), Griffiths for Maullin (62), Moriarty for H. Jenkins (16).