Return to the London Wasps home page
Match Report

08 Sep 2002: Wasps v Bristol Shoguns

Please use the buttons below to see more information on Bristol Shoguns and matches between Wasps and Bristol over the years.

Match Report
Bristol's Badge Wasps 38
Wasps's Badge Wasps 35
Fixture Type: Zurich Premiership Venue: Adams Park
Match Date: Sun 08 Sep 2002, Kick Off: 15:00
Referee: Roy Maybank

Nail biting win for London Wasps

London Wasps recorded their first Zurich Premiership win of the season, with a nail biting 38-35 win, over the Bristol Shoguns.

A crowd of just over 7,000 witnessed Wasps' first Zurich Premiership game at Adams Park, and a match that saw the lead change hands nine times.

The home side scored four tries, one of which was a penalty try. Hooker Trevor Leota opened the scoring for Wasps, when in the 10-minute, the big Samoan pick the ball up from a ruck and stretched over in the corner.


The Shoguns quickly bounced back when fullback Lee Best broke the Wasps defence after a well worked move and scored his sides first try.

The Shoguns then quickly stretched their lead when flyhalf Felipe Contepomi intercepted a ball and dotted in the corner to give his side an 8-17 lead by the 30th minute.

In the 35th minute Stuart Abbott found space amongst the Shoguns defence and scored and with Alex King converting Wasps went in a half-time 18-17 ahead.

Much of the second half belonged to Contepomi as he scored all his sides points and with the lead changing every few minutes the match was heading for a close finish.

Halfway in the second half scrumhalf Rob Howley broke away and laid off to his captain Lawrence Dallaglio, who dived over and allowed Wasps to regain the lead with 20 minutes to go, but three more Contepomi penalties and another from King, saw the Shoguns 31-35 ahead with about two minutes left.

Wasps continued the pressure on the Shoguns try-line and with seconds remaining Contepomi then turned villain when he dived on the ball from an offside position to prevent Wasps scoring what seemed a certain try, and referee Roy Maybank had no hesitation in blowing his whistle and awarding the penalty try.

The crowd were pleased and with Wasps using their get-out-of-jail-free-card they have now climbed to fourth on the log.