|League:||South West 2 East|
|Home Colours:||Broad green and narrow black & white hoops||Away Colours:|
Club Contact: Richard Morris on 07966 201835
Mini & Youth Training on Sundays from 10am to 12pm
(5.8 miles to Adams Park)
Our local paper, The Bucks Free Press, records that although it was not until after the First World War that rugby football gained any degree of popularity in Buckinghamshire, several clubs were established in the area towards the end of the 19th. Century, often in the face of considerable local prejudice and official opposition.
When an exploratory meeting was held in High Wycombe in 1891, the few zealots in attendance faced one major problem - where to play rugby. According to The Bucks Free Press, the nearest clubs in existence at that time were at Windsor, Taplow, Reading, Oxford and Thame. Bye-laws governing the use of the Rye Mead in High Wycombe prohibited the playing of rugby football.
Through the good auspices of former President, Jim Rivett, the Club acquired an octagonal Victorian table on which is a plaque that records that the table was presented by High Wycombe Rugby Club on the marriage of Mr. I.A.Howell, the Town Clerk, to Miss A.E.Priest on 18th.October 1893. We know rugby continued to be played in the town during the 1890's, a fixture being recorded in our local paper between Wycombe Rugby Club and Oxford Military College ( later to become The Royal Military College of Science, Shrivenham) on 18th.November 1893. Rugby continued in the town until the outbreak of the First World War.
Rugby continued to be played by the local Royal Grammar School but town rugby did not formally resume until 12th. January 1929 when the present Club was founded as the Old Wycombiensians by a group of old boys from The Royal Grammar School, High Wycombe. Matches were played on a pitch loaned by the School and afterwards, we entertained at the Flint public house. With the outbreak of war again in 1939, the Club disbanded for the duration of hostilities and reformed again in May 1945 at the end of the war in Europe. We continued to use facilities at the School and, due to a shortage of both cars and petrol, all travel to away games was by public transport. By the end of 1947, with the School expanding, we were forced to look for facilities elsewhere which we eventually found at Redford's Sports Ground, Totteridge. We had the use of two pitches and, still without a clubhouse, we entertained after matches at the nearby Black Boy public house, Terriers.
Eventually, we made approaches to our Local Council and we were offered a plot of land adjacent to Kingsmead to build on and the use of land on the 'Mead' which provided us with two pitches. The first Clubhouse was built over a period of four months by Club members out of a dismantled, pre-fabricated ex National Fire Service building and was opened on 26th.November 1949. This building was extended in 1953 and again in 1960 to accommodate the expansion of the Cub to five regular Saturday sides. During this period, with increasing numbers of non RGS old boy members, including players from both the local (in those days) Bomber Command Headquarters and the American air base, we changed our name first to Wycombiensians and finally, in 1962, we became High Wycombe.
With continued expansion, the present two storey Clubhouse was built in 1971 and, with two subsequent extensions in 1978 and 1982, has reached its present size.
After the programme of Clubhouse improvements completed over the previous two summers, this last summer we have concentrated on general repair and maintenance work. The Youth section have looked after the Clubhouse surrounds and a small team of volunteers have generally cleaned the ground floor and re-painted the changing rooms and stairwells, de-scaled the shower walls and converted the old equipment room back to a changing room and general maintenance work has been carried out throughout the Clubhouse. We are now working to raise funds for a replacement for our flat roof, parts of which are 36 years old and small leaks are beginning to appear.
On the 'Mead' we have four Senior pitches, five Junior pitches and four Mini grids. We currently run four Senior Saturday sides, and 300+ children are catered for on Sundays with thriving, well organised Mini and Junior sections and the return of a Colts XV last season after an absence of nine years and a semi regular Vets XV (The Bodgers) gives continuity of rugby from the Under sixes to the Over sixties and helps secure the playing future of the Club. Together with Wasps, Wycombe District Council and the local University, we continue to be involved in a Tag Rugby initiative into local non-rugby playing schools which has contributed to our ever expanding mini/Youth section. We are grateful for the support we receive from sponsors and advertisers, our members & not forgetting Wycombe District Council.
At senior level, we maintained by the skin of our teeth our position in South West League Two East by winning the last game of the campaign away against Frome having enjoyed various fortunes against the other clubs played. This season, with a proactive rugby committee, a progressive coaching team and a great spirit of togetherness, both in the First XV squad and the Club generally, we look to hold and improve our position in the League and hopefully win the Bucks Cup at the end of this season.
Over the years, we have enjoyed good runs in the former John Player Cup , going out in the third round to such clubs as Rosslyn Park, Leicester, Gloucester, Moseley and Wasps. We also enjoy touring having visited Italy last season hosted by Trento and also playing Valpollicella, the USA four times(once including the Bahamas), Spain, the Netherlands twenty one times (including playing Arnhem on each visit), the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, the Isle of Man twice, Guernsey twice, and also toured Wales, the West Country, and Scotland and Newcastle several times. We look to tour to Arnhem and Pickwick Players at the end of this season and plans are being put in motion for an extended tour to Chile at the end of the following season. The Minis regularly visit BSB Brussels and host them on return visits..
We are proud to record the following players who have passed through our ranks and on to gain International honours:
J E Woodward - English International 1952/56
Now registered both as an Industrial and Provident Society and a Community Amateur Sports Club and attaining Seal of Approval accreditation in September 2006, we face the future with great expectation and we look forward to meeting friends old and new both on and off the field of play,
|Address:||Kingsmead Road ,||Tel:||01494 524 407|
|Postcode:||Buckinghamshire, HP11 1JB||Tickets:||01494 524 407|
|Email:||email@example.com||Merchandise:||01494 524 407|
|Instructions:||Click on the buttons on the bar above for links to other web sites which have route planners and helpful information on getting to High Wycombe. Click on the globe for a Google Map Satellite image of the stadium. You will also be able to use Google's route planner to map your journey.|
Take the M40 to Junction 3, Wycombe East. Follow the slip road to the roundabout. Take the second exit, A40 towards High Wycombe. At the next roundabout, take the first exit(left) into Station Road, Loudwater. After about 400 yards, as the road turns to the left, turn right into Kingsmead Road. The Club is about 800 Yards on the right.
From the M25
Leave the M25 at the M40 junction and follow directions as from London.
From the M4 and South
Leave M4 at Junction 8/9, and take A404M and A404 for about 9 miles, going straight on at the Bisham roundabout, to reach Handy Cross Roundabout, M40 Junction 4. Proceed as from Oxford.
Take M40 to Junction 4, High Wycombe. Take the 3rd Exit, A404 towards High Wycombe. At the bottom of the hill, turn right at the first mini-roundabout, signed A40 London. At the second mini-roundabout, go straight on, signed A40 London, towards Beaconsfield. At the next two mini-roundabouts, continue straight on. Pass the entrance to the Retail Park on the right and 200 yards further on, turn right at the traffic lights into Abbey Barn Road, just past the Red Lion. Continuing for about 400 Yards, pass over the small bridge, when the road turns to the left, becoming Kingsmead Road. The Club is about 800 yards on the left.
Please note parking at the Club is limited. Parking on Kingsmead Road, outside of the clubrooms, is restricted to the clubroom side of the road, please do not park on the other side of the road where you will see parking cones, this area is for the use of local residents.
If the Club Car park is full, park in the public car parks on Kingsmead Road or Fennels Road (adjacent to the netball centre).
The Kingsmead Car Park is approximately 200m from the clubrooms, towards the Loudwater end of Kingsmead Road. Please do not park or obstruct the disabled parking bays, the cycle path, the footpath onto Kingsmead or the area protected for ambulance entry shown by yellow hatched lines.
The Fennels Road Car Park can be accessed from London Road or Kingsmead Road. From London Road turn into Kings Road (adjacent to the open space and war memorial) and then left into Fennels Road. From Kingsmead Road travel towards High Wycombe into Abbey Barn Road, at the mini roundabout (by Hawes Plant Hire) turn right into Beech Road then second left into Kings Road and first right into Fennels Road. The car park is at the end of Fennels Road and our clubrooms are a short walk, across Kingsmead, from Fennels Road car
|No games have been played against this opponent.|